[DML] DeLorean efficiency

To pharaphrase GMC, Not more than you need, just 'less' than your use
to.  Over the last couple of weeks people on the list have been
stating comparisons of what DeLorean made in the 60's (muscle cars)
and his own version in the early 80's.  And then there were some
comparisons to the 81 DMC and new cars of today.  And then there were
posts about how stupid it is comparing technology of different
decades, and differnt restrictions and regulations of the different
eras.

I think though there has been an argument that has been left out of
this whole mess... DeLorean efficiency.  Now this is not talking gas
milege, although our dmc's are pretty good on gas in comparison to
other 80's cars.

The efficiency I'm talking about is how much horsepower it takes to
move a car at a certain speed.  I dont want to get into a big
argument here over this, but take a Bricklin, or a Corvette, or some
other muscle car, or yes, even a current day car.  Say we take a
corvette, not a car person, but dont the old ones from the 70's have
350 hp, or something like that.  Now what is the top speed.  I'm not
sure, but with that lousy 3 speed auto I'm sure it cant do much more
than say 120-140, tops.  It takes 350hp to make the car get up to
140mph.  In my book that is a waste of horsepower, and efficiency is
near 40%.

Take a DeLorean with its measly 130hp.  Its been doccumented at going
apx 130mph, stock, not mentioning performance enhancing Island Turbo
kits, and V8 Northstars and the like.  The Volvo engine were
talking.  It might take a while, but that 130hp is capable of driving
the car up to 130mph or about there, depending if your car's in
tune.  In my book that is nearing 1 hp per 1 mph.  Or nearly 100%
efficiency.

Now we talk about DeLorean being a Genius sometimes, and that the DMC-
12 is an engineers car.  Think about it.  What more could you ask for
than to make a car as efficient as possible while making it striking
and beautiful on the outside.  While execs of other companys thought
how to make a sports car or an exotic was to throw in a huge engine,
DeLorean rose above this, creating a near perfect car, not only
asteticly, but mechanicaly as well.

Other manufactures have done this, but only by default sticking in
measly 100hp engines because they were easy and cheap to
manufacture.  Although John was severly limited in his engine choices
at the time, I believe that this was a decision made and autherized
by the factory to make an ethical car.  Remember, this car was 25,000
dollars in a time when you could by a Honda for only 4,000.  It would
have been easy for John to stick in a big V8 powerplant.

And just to show you that this isnt just a fluke and flawed
reasoning, didnt the 70's prototype with a 4 cylinder engine only
generate apx 120hp?  Its estimated top speed was 120.  Ratio of near
100% effiency.  If you dont think John succeed in created an
ethical "Sports" car, I dont know what would change your mind.

Tom Porter
Maine, USA