[DML] Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

[DML] Re: Car won't go over 1500 RPMs (and radio won't work)

Joe,

Right now it sounds like you're having the "shake down breakdowns"
on a recently purchased car. I don't know how long you've owned it
though...

David may be right, you may be experiencing hydraulic lock in the
cylinders. You must be careful as you could bend a piston rod that
way. Hopefully (and most likely) you haven't done so yet.

To over come this, pull the sparkplugs out, venting the cylinders to
the air. THEN crank the engine over. The excess fuel will wash past
the rings. While you have the plugs out, ensure that they aren't
fouled with the milky/fuel mixture. Clean them up and put them back
in.

Next, pour some Berryman's B-12 Chemtool in your tank with the fuel.
(Call around to your local parts stores) I would then pull all of
the injectors, and put them in clear glass soda/beer bottles. Jumper
the RPM relay as you did before and push the airflow meter down and
observe the injectors. This will flush the injectors as well as
allow you to observe the spray pattern. I know they're new but
there's no telling what junk is in them now after the milk/gas
mixture.

Lastly, if the injectors spray a good atomized pattern and they make
a "singing" sound, they're good. Reinstall the injectors. Check the
tank again to make sure it's clean and then replace your fuel filter.

If you're stuck in CT and can't wait for one to arrive from a
vendor, the local parts houses do stock them. The Puralator manuals
in the stores even list it as being specificially for a DeLorean.
It's not a Volvo cross-reference. Wild huh? Cost is $17.00.

Oh, don't forget to change your oil. Gasoline that has washed past
the piston rings will dilute it and degrade its lubricating
properties. Not to mention make it more inflammable.

Hopefully this will get you on the road.

Rich A.
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Joe Angell <jangell@xxxx> wrote:

> Hi all.  First off, thanks to everyone for the help in the past.
> really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, things have gone bad on me
again.

> I just drove from northern Vermont to Connecticut for
Thanksgiving.
> Besides a couple minor mishaps (headlight relay socket getting
loose,
> high beam fuse blowing out and MELTING in the fuse box), things
went
> well.

[moderator snip]