Re: [DML] Ventilated Cross Drilled brakes available?

John Hervey wrote:

>TK7542
>#1. There are no calipers that use 4 pistons that I'm aware of.

Front ones are quite easy to find over here - the Ford RS200 used them
as standard (and they're expensive compared to the single pot ones by a
good factor of 4!). We *think* there are some rear 4-pot calipers but
they'll be £££££

>#2. I do have cross drilled solid rotors that will keep the rotors about 250
>degrees cooler than original. Most companies will do the specials if you
>want to buy quantity, but not 2 or 4.

*correct me if I'm wrong* but I thought that cross-drilling was to
eliminate brake fade as the pads get so hot they start burning and
releasing gasses - they do little to cool them down.It gives those
gasses somewhere to go. There're lots of websites out there arguing the
case for and against, but I'm personally on the side of solid
double-walled discs.

>#3.As far as vented rotors, the calipers have to enlarged and to do that
>spacers have to be made and fitted. You can them overseas but in the US the
>insurance companies rule.

The Lotus Esprit uses double-walled vented discs from a toyota celica
which are the same diameter out and inside as the DeLorean.
Unfortunately the mounting holes are about 1/4" further out. Very
annoying when we discovered this!

Martin