Re: [DML] A Probably Stupid Question

In actuality, the DMC has made a comeback. It just isn't in current
production. The support, organizations and people behind the Delorean are
stronger than they have ever been.
For the Delorean to be put back into production, the company would have to
take on a completely different structure. Of all the businesses a person can
start, an auto company is fraught with the most peril. It has nothing to do
with John Delorean "sensing it". In fact John Delorean has tried
continuously to put the Delorean or different designed Deloreans into
production since the original company ceased production.
In the automotive world, you can either be very big or very small. Any
attempt at re-starting the Delorean would need to be very small, say 500
cars a year and never go above this amount. The car manufacturing business
is incredibly cash intensive. You spend 2-3 years and millions of dollars on
designing and engineering a product, hoping that it will be successful
enough to pay the company back. If the car in question is your first or only
product, then its success takes on a life or death decision for your
company. At a small level, if something goes wrong, you can typically find
someone or some organization that has 25-30 million dollars to help you out
or for that matter help someone else re-start the company. At the level that
DMC was at it would need 3 to 4 times this. With no long tract record to
fall back on as a company and because of the amounts involved, people were
reluctant to help out financially when it got into trouble. Most other
specialty/small scale manufactures have gone through boom/bust cycles, where
a mistake was made on a product or other financial gamble was taken and the
company ceased and then was restarted. This was possible because of their
small size.
The big auto makers didn't gang up on him any more than other auto makers
that they were in competition with. At the production level that DMC was at,
it was little more than a gnat on GM, Ford, or Chrysler's radar screen.
There were different factors involved leading to the demise of the company,
but this wasn't one of them. In fact AC Delco was one of the suppliers that
John used. Why would GM allow this if it was really out to stop John?
I agree that we deserve what his vision has to offer, but it will have to
come from someone on the automotive scene today. John could be involved in a
new company, but it would have to be as more of a figure head/designer/idea
man. Someone else would have to be involved as a recruiter of financial
backing and as CEO. John has even stated that if someone would come up with
the financial backing for a car of his design, he'd name it after them.