RE: [DML] Re: Another DMC newbie

[Moderator Note: Although the discussion is getting close to ugly, so far no one has violated the rules.  If everyone keeps it civilized and puts their names to personal knowledge and experiences instead of opinions this thread will go on.  Step over the line and this thread is history.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

Alex, I haven't been following this thread, but are you saying that the
engine in the car is the original PRV engine?

I know for fact that it isn't, and you have said yourself that it isn't when
you took it to DMCH and they told that they didn't want to work on it because it was a non-standard 2.7 liter version of the Volvo engine.

I met with the previous owner Raphael who bought the car new, and he blew
the original engine many years ago when he let it overheat. He replaced it with this smaller engine and "rigged" the rest. I believe he tossed the extra blown engine into the deal right?

I visited with him a year ago and drove the car myself, I have lots of
detailed photos of it including the VIN number.

I could tell that the entire interior needed replacing, if not for the
stains fading and cracks but for the nicotine drenched smell of a chain smoker.
The inside carpet was filthy, the headliner stained and brown, the dash
cracked like the salt flats, the console has had all sorts of holes drilled in it with cheap toggle switches to replace all of the automatic electronics in the car, the rear wireing looks like a spaghetti explosion.....
The body is straight and clean, but the steering was stiff... however I
think you fixed that right?  What I remember most about the car was how much effort it was to shift gears, I figured they were all like this but have learned they are not.

I looked at the photos in your auction and it looks like you have cleaned it
up a lot, but the brown staining on all of the dash leather is seen in the photos and you do mention in the ad that these things need to be addressed.  The dash, binnacle, knee pads, center console, shift plate, arm rests, interior carpets and head liners all need to be replaced to get rid of the smoke smell, and to be clean and new looking. No amount of carpet shampooing or cleaning will fix this. You would be better off spray painting the leather grey with vinyl paint in the mean time.  This would make it look better and help seal up the moldy smoke smell.

Alex, you know I am not saying anything untrue unless of course you have
fixed all of this stuff since then. I hate to toss you under the bus but I am just telling the truth. I have about 20 detailed photos of the car, the interior, the engine and the  vin number along with me and the owner, Raphael.

I think this car needs about $5000 worth of cosmetics, or maybe is a perfect
restoration and good canidate for Houston's new interior package, along with thier new crate/engine upgrade. But as it sits, it would not satisfy most people.
The body however is very clean.

I would think that $8000 would be the max you could get for your car unless
you did some major work. I think you should keep it, gut it out, replace the interior and get someone  who really knows engines to fix it up for you.

I appologize for saying all these negative things about your car, but to be
honest with you that is what this forum is for. No one ever cuts me a break on here either.

I think your ad is honest for the most part, but the engine is not original
and is also not an original PRV.

I told you long ago when you asked me about it that you had made a mistake
buying the car, and that you are faced with taking a loss, in either selling the
car for much less than you paid for it or investing more money into it to get it right.  Either way is will cost you about $5000, either in loss or investment.

Remember the $20,000 rule.
You can't get around it!
(unless of course you win a raffle car!)

- Videobob

>From: "Alex" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [DML] Re: Another DMC newbie
>Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:12:47 -0000
>

>Hey Joe, prove to me its not an original engine. I dont recall you
>coming to take a look at it. In fact, I dont recall you even seeing
>a closeup of the engine! To my knowledge, this is NOT a variation of
>the PRV. I have seen no concrete proof, and thats what I am basing
>my descrption on. I even had someone who is very kowledgable tell me
>it WAS a OEM engine. And no, not cleaning the car does NOT speak
>about me, I am a very clean and honest person. Just dont have any
>time, literally, thats why I am selling. I am a bit shocked and the
>lack of support from this list. Especially at how quick people are
>to badmouth me as a person.

[long quote snipped by moderator]