[DML] Re: Odd starting problem, Help please...

[DML] Re: Odd starting problem, Help please...

Problem resolved

After some advice I figured it out, just as a resolve to what was
happening. The engine was basically flooded. I was just overly
caustious not wanting to melt down the fragile fuse box by cranking
it too much. When I messed with the air venturi I basically floooded
it with gas. Then every time I turned the key to try to start it
again, I was basically flooding the plugs more. Plugs can't fire
when it is flooded. So after holding the gas pedal to the floor and
cranking for about 5-8 seconds it fired to life again. Just starting
it with the key wouldn't do it, but using the gas pedal when
cranking did the trick.

All is well again. Hopefully someday this will help someone in the
archives years from now.

Thanks for the advice all.

Joe OBrien

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx>
wrote:

> Ok here's my embarrasing moment....
>
> I was washing the car before winter, and just while cleaning it I
> decided to wash the engine compartment lightly. Well after just
> giving it a light washing, shop vacuuming and blowing it dry, the
> car would no longer start. Not wanting to damage anything I rolled
> it into the garage. I removed the air cleaner, disconnected any
> electrical connections that might have gotten wet, cleaned any
> contacts, disconnected the frequency valve, cold start valve, idle
> speed motor, cleaned the the resistors on the firewall. Dried
> everything thoroughly with a hair dryer. Still no start. So then I
> turned a fan on it in the garage to blow warm air over it
overnight
> and would just try it in the morning.
>
> This morning after crossing my fingers, it started on the first
turn
> after hooking everything back up. It was just in my garage running
> on initial warmup and the air cleaner was off, and for some stupid
> reason I pushed down on the air venturi while it was warming up.
It
> stalled immediately. It made a gasp and stalled.
>
> So I went to restart it, and .... nothing, not starting again, so
> wait another 2,3, 5 hours, and still nothing. What did I do to
make
> it not want to start just by pushing on the air venturi?? Did I
trip
> something? Everything has been dried out and cleaned, ran
perfectly
> before this, started first hit of the key, now this all of a
sudden.

> I've scoured the DML archives looking for an answer, or similar
> situation with none found.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion that I can try here? Kicking myself for
> even touching the air venturi now, and attempting to have a clean
> engine. I even disconnected the battery hoping it would reset
> something, tried the hot start trick, nothing. Entire fuel system
is
> 6 months old on this car.
>
> Hopelessly stuck here, any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.