Re: [DML] Re: Auto to Manual!!!--My experience

Re: [DML] Re: Auto to Manual!!!--My experience

Several years ago I converted my D from auto to manual.  Compared to
the headaches I had with the automatic, the manual has been relatively
trouble-free.

The tranny portion of the swap was no more difficult than removing &
replacing automatic-to-automatic or manual-to-manual.  However, that's
only part of the battle.  The auto pedal assembly must be swapped with
the manual assembly (obviously).

The most difficult part of the swap (for me) was installing the manual
shift linkage.  The only difference I've been able to see between the
frame on a manual transmission car and the frame of an automatic is the
shift linkage mounting plate on the inside the center tube of the
frame.  To mount the manual linkage you must cut a larger opening in
the mounting plate and drill mounting holes.  I used a round hack saw
blade and a lot of patience to cut the plate.  Somewhere I have photos
and a cardboard template which I'd be glad to send if you go ahead with
the conversion.

Before installing the manual tranny I recommend checking the shifting
forks inside the tranny to be sure nothing is bent (may save grinding
into second gear).  You also might want to consider taking the tranny
to a good transmission shop for inspection and replace all of the
tranny seals.

Also, I suggest the following:

- Install a new slave cylinder, master cylinder & steel clutch line
- Install a new centerforce II clutch plate
- Replace the rear crank seal in the engine
- Replace the pilot & throwout bearings
- Check other posts for items that are recommended for replacement when
removing a manual tranny (I'm going from memory)
- take photos as you go

As I recall, the steering column must be removed to replace the pedal
assembly.  If this is the case, remove the u-joint in the steering
shaft and soak the joint in hot synthetic gear lube for about 12 hours
(this forces lube into the joint and extends its life - heat with a hot
plate - outside - and be very careful).

Hopefully, this will give you an idea of what to expect and a start on
your project.

Good luck,

Woody

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail