[DML] Re: Chevy Engine swap

David is right about not underestimating the amount of work involved
in an engine swap. I've done two. Even though both vehicles were
repowered with more or less the same block they were designed around
at the factory, they were a pain nevertheless:
- 1969 460 and transmission into a 1979 Lincoln Mark V
- Carbureted PRV (Puegeot lineage) into a DeLorean
DeLo was a treat because I only had 3 weeks to pull it off before
Pigeon Forge (trip to DCS *WAS* the test drive). I'm still working
residual bugs out.

While indeed true that just about any prime mover can be engineered
into any vehicle, be aware that the two won't simply fall together.
Problems WILL ceaslessly pop up, one after another.

99% of the complaints about PRV maintenance revolve around access.
Parts availability is not a problem. Parts costs are no higher than
contemporary vehicles (they are higher than older domestics however).
Biggest difficulty is getting them in. That's the most significant
reason I swapped fuel injection for carburetion (and re-routed my
exhaust). Otherwise I'm very happy with the engine.

FWIW: Even though performance was not a primary consideration in my
DeLo repower, resultant drivetrain is very quick. 8 seconds 0-60
(stock vehicles are 10 plus in real world tests). I'm burning a 2
barrel Motorcraft/Holly carb on what is basically a low compression
B28. Renault squeezed 160 HP out of a high compression version of that
same engine WITHOUT TURBOCHARGING (dual carb setup). Yielded 7.5
seconds 0-60 in the Alpine GTA (same gear box as ours, but I believe
ratios were smaller). B280/3.0 is advertised at 170 HP -- WITH full US
emissions, again sans turbocharging (10.5:1 compression, multi-port EFI).

Bill Robertson