Re: [DML] Chevy Engine swap

Here's the thing about the engine swap.  I looked into it and ended up
putting a 1994 Chevy Vortec 4.3 rated at 220 hp.  I really wanted an LT1/LS1
but with the stock DMC tranny, there was no way I was gettin it in there
without major modifications.  Now, this was on a auto DMC so maybe a
standard would give you more clearance so I can't speak for the 5 speeds.
Even with the 4.3 though, I had to swap over to a short water pump setup and
cut a slight area out of the rear fascia in the engine compartment due to
the waterpump pulley.  Also, the auto tranny won't hold up too long to the
torque that the V8 can put out (I doubt the 5 speed would last too much
longer either)  However, later after I did some research into what type of
tranny's people had mated successfully to Chevy engines, I came up with
Porsche. Quite a few of the Porsche owners install V8's into their old
Porsches.  I  ended up installing a Porsche 915 5 speed tranny into the D.
I knew that the Porsche trannys could hold up to anything I wanted to do
with the 4.3 (or for that matter, most V8 applications)   You can find a few
suppliers who make conversions/bellhousings for Porsche trannys to mate to
Chevy/Buick/Ford engines.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

http://www.kennedyeng.com/

I bought all my parts for the tranny swap from kennedy engineering, but I've
heard good things about both places.  You can even do some research on
Porsche tranny's and find them for sale on this forum:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/

 Now, if you were looking to install a Porsche tranny from the beginning
along with a Chevy engine, you could fit them in there fairly easy.  I
thought long and hard about putting the LS1 motor into the D when I was
getting the parts for the Porsche tranny swap, but I would have had to redo
my whole setup and it would have cost a lot more money.  Later on down the
road I will probably look at a LS6/LS2 swap, but for now, I'm VERY happy
with the outcome of the Porsche 5 speed mated to the Chevy 4.3.

I do agree with you on the lack of performance of the D and the reliability
issues of the car.  That's EXACTLY why I did my swap.  However, you have to
take a good look at the big picture.  If you are going to pay someone to do
the swap, it will get expensive real quick!  It only cost me around $3000 to
$3500 total on installing the engine ($1,500)and transmission ($2000) but I
did all the work myself.  (the transmission was a lot more expensive to do
than the engine and harder as well due to my car being an auto)  When I did
the engine swap, I didn't have a clue what I was getting into and I'd say I
was pretty green when it came to cars.  I did 90% of the work at my house in
my driveway.  When I did the tranny swap, I had done quite a few projects on
lots of cars so I'd say on a scale of one to ten I'm about a 7 now.  (when I
did the engine swap I'd rate myself at a 2)  A friend of mine owns a auto
shop and we did the tranny swap there. (took about 2 months and most of
that's b/c of tryin to get the linkage just right!) That said, if you can
get the original motor running and running CORRECTLY, you won't have many
problems.  There are lots of reliable stock DeLoreans out there that just
require routine maintence from time to time.  However, if you have a basket
case from day one, a swap might be just the way to go as those nickle and
dime days add up.  Mine was a problem child so I opted for the swap.  Now I
can jump in my car and know I can take it anywhere and even find parts on a
Sunday if need be.  I did the engine swap back in 2000 and the ONLY problem
I've had since then is 1 bad waterpump and 1 alternator (which I replaced
with parts from a local parts house and they came with a lifetime warranty)

Hope this helps,

Duke