Re: [DML] Ignition upgrading

Replacing the 20 year old parts will get you plenty of "upgrading". If
you want more you will get very little for the money you will spend.
Stay away from the platinum plugs. Rob Grady was enamored with them at
one time and it was all he would put in. That was until he started to
see cars he did come back running bad. He finally figured out that the
platinum plugs were leaking at the shell where it was crimped on the
porcelein. The blow-by reduced the compression and the performance.
BTW the platinum plugs aren't supposed to make the car run any better,
they are only supposed to last longer. Not a really big issue for most
of us who use the car sparingly and/or are limited by insurance to
2,500 miles per year. You will replace the spark plugs way before you
wear them out even if you only tune up the car every 10 years! Running
a hotter coil may give you a slight improvement until you break down
the cap, rotor, or ignition wires from the higher voltages. When you
are under the intake manifold the only things you have to replace
besides the "O" rings and the coolant hoses, are the vacuum hoses. The
switches and valves seem to be reliable.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757