[DML] Re: Ignition upgrading

I researched a while when I dove in to getting my D ready for PF.
Personally I was afraid to venture too far from OEM components. Over
the years I have observed lots of issues when folks tried different
stuff when it comes to the spark. The one issue that concerned me
the most is the coil. The resistance, the ECU and induction unit all
need to work together for proper performance. Mechanically, the
rotor, cap, plugs and wires were a lesser concern to me although the
spark plugs should be in the correct heat range for the engine. So,
move away from OEM and I see lots of mismatch possibilities and
guess work unless there is some engineering involved. That's when I
looked at DMCH's Nology stuff. A bit pricey but, the engineering
appeared to be there to suit me. I have been very impressed so far
with the Nology kit. A noticeable kick too. I especially like the
performance at the higher revs. I also had the engine analyzed for
emission performance after the tune - super clean - passed with
flying colors.

I did get a new OEM NOS coil from DMCH to have a "fresh" unit and
BTW it is less expensive than other "replacements". Nology has a
coil amplifier engineered for that unit. The Nology wires are cool
looking but you really don't see much of them once you have
everything back together.

I also got all the Hervey switching that comes with new rubber and
his neat marking system for easy hookup, Hervey's silicone vacuum
hoses, and heater valve. I have Grady's deluxe water pump kit
(thermostat, gaskets, etc.), silicone coolant hoses, seals and bolt
kits.

The only thing I had to fabricate was a coil wire. Go figure, Nology
does not include a coil wire with the set. So, I got a Taylor 8mm
Pro silicone coil wire from the local speed shop and made my own.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Louie G <louie@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm about to take off my intake manifold to replace some vacuum
components on my car, and I figured while I am in "the valley of
death" that I'd just go ahead and replace and upgrade all the
components  in the area. I'd like some advice or experience on
upgrading my ignition system.