[DML] Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

[DML] Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

Mr. Hervey,

You misunderstood me. I have no doubt you save owners and shops time.
Nor do I doubt the value of any vendor's tech help to those who need
it. I was only pointing out that to state a generic part not bought
from a vendor makes the part incorrect for a particular application
is a fallacy. It's a very simple car with very simple systems as far
as cars go. Not to take anything away from your contribution to the
community but the modification of alternator cores could hardly be
considered manufacturing. Correct me if wrong but I seriously doubt
you manufacture plug wires. You may cut to length and terminate but
probably little more. In addition most of the vendors "manufacture"
even less than you when it comes to generic parts. My point remains
valid: Time may be money but there are many non vendor parts that
will function just fine if one understands the technology.

A few more observations. I fail to see how my not signing a post
infers anything other than what was stated in the content of the
post. If you were implying that I was implying time is saved by
utilizing vendor supplied generic parts than yes, that would be true
unless the vendor has improperly selected the part. A customer is
trading his time and money in exchange for the expertise of the
vendor, a result of the customer's own lack of expertise. This is all
well and good if the vendor knows more than the customer, which is
not always the case. It also restricts the customer to the vendor's
idea of the part's performance. It also depends on which the customer
values more, his time or money. But to say a customer selected part
will not function correctly is a sweeping and invalid statement. Such
parts can often be superior to a vendor's generic part in many ways.

It also proves the old adage that time may be money but knowledge is
power. It's up to the each individual to decide which has more value.