RE: [DML] Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

-----Original Message-----
From: endotex23 [mailto:endotex23@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 4:07 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

 Please take a look at the web site again.
The alternators we manufacture for the Delorean are all brand new parts from
the ground up. The are no cores used in them. Normally the only place you
will get a New Alternator is from the Dealer. I don't know anyone stocking
New, only reman.  If we rebuild a Motorola, then yes we use old cores.
As far as the 8mm HP spark plug wires, yes they are also brand new wires we
manufacture.
I think what you mean to say about non vendor items are what is called
aftermarket. Vendor( Original )items would be NOS inventory made especially
for or sourced for the Delorean. Since Delorean didn't have time to do the
improvements, All vendors me and others have taken the time to source
aftermarket parts that will perform as good if not better and are also new
instead of old inventory which some people are burden with.
Selecting a part from the local supplier and not working with a Delorean
vendor is done all the time. The parts would again be called aftermarket and
since our cars are 20+ years old most of the demands for money on the shelf
are not for our cars or the old Volvo's. Money is to tight. Keep in mind
that John didn't manufacture a lot of parts used on the car, They were
sourced from other cars that were proven or tested.
All I'm saying is that the Delorean parts vendors stock a normally proven
part and keeps you from having to spend time looking. If you plan ahead then
the parts are only 3 to 4 day's away. When I got started I ordered parts
just to make sure they would work and fit.
John Hervey

 Not to take anything away from your contribution to the
community but the modification of alternator cores could hardly be
considered manufacturing. Correct me if wrong but I seriously doubt
you manufacture plug wires. You may cut to length and terminate but
probably little more. In addition most of the vendors "manufacture"
even less than you when it comes to generic parts. My point remains
valid: Time may be money but there are many non vendor parts that
will function just fine if one understands the technology.

A few more observations. I fail to see how my not signing a post
infers anything other than what was stated in the content of the
post. If you were implying that I was implying time is saved by
utilizing vendor supplied generic parts than yes, that would be true
unless the vendor has improperly selected the part. A customer is
trading his time and money in exchange for the expertise of the
vendor, a result of the customer's own lack of expertise. This is all
well and good if the vendor knows more than the customer, which is
not always the case. It also restricts the customer to the vendor's
idea of the part's performance. It also depends on which the customer
values more, his time or money. But to say a customer selected part
will not function correctly is a sweeping and invalid statement. Such
parts can often be superior to a vendor's generic part in many ways.

It also proves the old adage that time may be money but knowledge is
power. It's up to the each individual to decide which has more value.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews