[DML] Saving radio presets (was: Charging Problem.......help!)

[DML] Saving radio presets (was: Charging Problem.......help!)

Just a quick note on battery cut-off and losing radio presets.

Two years ago, along with the help of Rick G (creator if the twin engine DMC), I put together a couple of diodes and a small sealed 12v battery to power my radio presets when I shut off the main power with a battery cut-off switch from John Hervey.

The entire thing (accessory battery, rectifier, housing, cables) fits snugly next to the battery in the battery compartment, and I have the cut-off switch mounted in the battery cover with a removable key, so I whenever I park the car for long periods of time, I just reach behind the passenger seat and flip the switch.  And when I return, all my radio presets are still there.  As an added bonus, when the car is running, the main battery will recharge the accessory battery, and the diodes keep the main battery from discharging the accessory battery when the car is off, but the cut-off switch is not engaged.  It's worked like a dream for two years now.

Note: The 12v accessory battery does NOT power the radio itself, only the "memory" line to hold the presets.

Note2:  The only downside is that my LockZilla remote no longer works with the battery cut-off engaged.  It's been my experience that the lockzilla unit slowly drained my battery, so I'm not going to hook it up "before the switch".

-Hank #1619