[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Hi list.

Interesting issue, as our cars tend to eat batteries when parked for
a while.  Does it cause problems if you trickle charge the battery
while it's still installed in the car?  Same question, quick charge?

On that note, seems to me those solar chargers you plug in to the
lighter made this list some time ago.  Personally, they give me the
creeps damage-wise, but I have no hard science to support my
misgivings.

In the twenty-one years I've owned the car I've driven it very
regularly, but as I do a lot of business travel by air, long sits are
a constant problem even for the daily driver.  I've always wanted to
make a pigtail for the car to plug in a 110v-to-12v DC power supply
to operate all the hot-wired power drains like the clock and other
volatile-memory devices, not to mention for powering systems like the
stereo (200W Alpine) at car shows.  Anybody got any ideas on that?

(BTW, stereo at car shows:  Went to one where the local radio station
broadcast a live rock and roll band from the show.  At the end of the
show, just before the Rolling Thunder thing, everybody fired up their
custom stereos and tuned 'em to the station to augment the band.  The
band in turn cranked up and the sound was astonishing.  Beaucoup
loud.  Crowd ate it up.)

My current (no pun intended) fix for battery charging is a battery
cutout switch.  Just disconnect at the switch, ventilate, and
(trickle) charge away.  Downside of that seemingly simple method is
that it deprograms the clock/calendar and all the presets on the
stereo. (There's a ton.  Cool toys come at a price.)  Besides, it's a
pain constantly opening the battery hatch and crunching my knuckles
snaking the cables in there, so I'm looking for a better way.

Laziness is the mother of invention.

--Ray
10693 and Counting.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> Current expert advice now discourages jumping one car with another.
> The risk to the computer systems in BOTH cars is too great. You also
> risk doing it wrong...

<snip>

...but the codes are still trying to catch up to