[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Current expert advice now discourages jumping one car with another.
The risk to the computer systems in BOTH cars is too great. You also
risk doing it wrong and exploding a battery. If you jump a frozen,
dead battery they can also explode. The recomended procedure is to
remove the dead battery and slowly recharge it or replace it with a
fully recharged one. In extreme cases it is allowed to use a portable
battery pack. I know this sounds extreme, I also have jumped many cars
over the years but cars are getting so much more complex now. You can
start a chain of events by weakening the junctions in the
semiconductors that will cause them to fail. In the near future you
will start to see cars with voltages other than 12. You may have
already seen some hybrids, they already are on different voltages.
NEVER try jumping cars of different voltages. That will be a fireworks
display! The shift computers in the automatic Deloreans seem to be
susceptible to the spikes and surges created when jump-starting. This
can happen especailly if the ignition key is left on while connecting
the cars. There are actually several computers in a Delorean but for
the most part they seem to be made well (they are Bosch). Ths shift
computer is Renault so maybe that's why it isn't so good? BTW building
codes now prohibit recharging a battery in a vehicle when that vehicle
is inside. There are some exceptions like for service stations. This
means that you are expected to remove the battery from a vehicle
before charging it. Exceptions will have to be made for hybrids and
electric vehicles too but the codes are still trying to catch up to
the new technologies.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757