[DML] Re: Swapping trailing arm bolts, catch 22

[DML] Re: Swapping trailing arm bolts, catch 22

Michiel - First of all, rest assured that your DeLorean is no
different than any others ... they all have their own individual
quirks.  Your car had only 300 miles when you bought it a year ago?
The TAB's are "shining like diamonds" because the car has hardly
been driven.  For the right hand TAB, if you have the joint loose,
and the bolt slid out all the way until the head contacts the
transmission, you should be able to move the bolt around by
deflecting the rubber in the rubber bushing.  I have never had one
that wouldn't come out with a little "pushing and shoving".  If you
really want to remove the right hand rubber bushing plate, a small
wrench can be inserted into the opening in the frame on the
transmission side to loosen the jam nut.  By the way,
congratulations on recognizing that there is a jam nut as well as
the welded nut.  If the retaining plate bolt is turned without
removing the jam nut, it is easy to twist the head off of the bolt.
The right hand TAB should be fairly easy to replace, so that is why
it is not talked about much in the files.  The left TAB is another
story when an automatic transmission is involved.  One strategy is
to remove the entire trailing arm from the car in order to change
the TAB (great article in Gullwing Magazine last year about that
task), and the other is to cut the old TAB out.  This takes a hack
saw or metal-cutting Saws-all.  Then, you loosen the bushing
retaining plate, and insert the new TAB with the head to
the "outside", through the trailing arm, the loose bushing, and then
reinstall the bushing plate back in.  All of this takes patience and
small tools.  With everything back in, you can torque the new TAB
using the head of the bolt instead of the nut.  If you'd like to
work through this "Off List", please feel free to email me at toby
(at)delorean-parts.com.  I have done a few automatics now, so it can
be done.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michiel Böhmer <michiel.bohmer@xxxx>
wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I seem to have a total different DeLorean then you all have.
>
> I have these new trailing arm bolts and they have to get in my car
with automatic transmission. According to the manual it should be a
piece of cake.