Re: [DML] Turbos - bad wrap. What's UP!!

Re: [DML] Turbos - bad wrap. What's UP!!

Sorry, but you can't say "turbos are okay because there are a lot of
them out there with no problems" - because in at least equal measure
there are loads out there WITH problems!

The PRV was later developed by Renault into a turbochargable engine -
the Z7U (2.5) and later the Z7W (3 litre). I have taken apart my Z7U and
if you could see the size of the bottom end bearings compared to the
stock DeLorean engine, you'd have one example of quite how different
they are internally. They are even-fire, with offset journals, the
pistons are forged and lower compression, the conrods are larger, the
valves are sodium cooled, and it's all run with distributorless
ignition* and EFI. The cams are different, the oil feed has an auxiliary
cooler....... I could go on.

There's a very definite reason for each and every one of the changes.
The original DeLorean B28F engine can take a modest amount of boost
because it has lower compression pistons than a B28E european spec
engine. But the way these "kits" adjust the fuelling and timing is
absolutely laughable, and totally "mickey-moused".

* not strictly true - it has a distributor, but it's just mechanical
distribution, which can be removed easily.

Martin