Re: [DML] Turbos - bad wrap. What's UP!!

Re: [DML] Turbos - bad wrap. What's UP!!

Martin is quite correct when he states that newer
engines that were designed for turbos are quite
different than older engines that had turbos added.
That, in and of itself however, does not lead to a
"Q.E.D" that turbo kits are bad.

I'm pretty sure that if I used my turbos to drag at
every stop light - or, run at pressures in excess of,
say, 7lbs. I'd find that I would soon experience
engine problems.  But, living at 7000' and often
driving over mountain passes of 10,000' I find that
the turbos make up for the loss of HP due to altitude
and also make driving my D much more enjoyable.  I
look to them to provide me with a bit more mid-range
punch and they do that quite nicely.

One thing I do not understand is the constant refernce
to  turbos not being "odd-fire" friendly.  Man, have
you ever ridden in a Buick Grand National?  Now
there's a turbocharged odd-fire V-6 engine that
screams.  Though I'm certainly not an expert, the
owners I have known have not had bad things to say
about them.

Guys, this is a never ending debate.  Suffice that
many of us who have turbos do not have problems.
Apparently many do.  But, but I also read about all
the problems that normally aspirated DeLoreans seem to
have for some people. I've not experienced most of
them either.  Perhaps I'm just lucky - OR - perhaps
the extraordinary care I give to my car is the reason
it seems to be so trouble free.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail