Re: [DML] Clear Cooling Hoses

In a former life I was in the plastic molding business.  We molded PVC
all the time, and going from my cobweb-filled memory I believe it took a
lot less that 220 degrees to "melt" it.  That's a layman's term, when
you mold amorphous thermoplastics they don't really change states from
solid to liquid like ice melting to water, they just enter a plasticity
region when heated above their glass transition temperature.  I think
the glass transition temperature for PVC is less than 190 F.  By the
time your DeLorean reached operating temperature your transparent hoses
would have become soft and malleable, unable to withstand any pressure.

Also, I have no idea what chemical interaction might occur between the
PVC hoses and hot ethylene glycol in your coolant.  I have never heard
of anyone trying anything like that before.  Who knows, that might be an
adventure even more exciting that melting your cooling system!

Of course the stock radiator hoses do not last forever, either.  If you
are willing to change out all your coolant hoses every time you run your
engine for five minutes, those reinforced PVC hoses *could* give your
engine compartment a pretty nifty look.

- Mike Substelny
satisfied with black coolant hoses for 10 years.