Fuel Pump Boot (was: Re: [DML] DELOREAN SAFETY).

Fuel Pump Boot (was: Re: [DML] DELOREAN SAFETY).

RTV will not stand up to gasoline vapors for long. There's a reason
that the design, as clunky as it is, is the way it is. The idea is to
keep water from pooling in the boot which will eventually find it's
way into the tank, not to mention rusting the top of the pump. Note
that this pump design is mounted under the car in other applications,
so the pump itself is basically waterproof. It's just not intended to
be **under** water i.e. under a pump boot-full.

Something to consider on this topic though, when the fuel pump and
boot is properly installed, and the trunk cover panel is in place,
there is actually quite a bit of pressure from the panel on the boot
that keeps in in place. If you want to do something beneficial ADD
some of that self-adhesive insulation to the bottom of the cover
plate to increase the pressure. But keep an eye on it for
deterioration over time.

I still think (this has been done, but not by me) the best solution
is to remote the pump outside of the tank. It's a big effort and
presents more issues, such as "where?" and closing off the big hole
in the tank.

Dave S.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>