Fuel Pump Boot (was: Re: [DML] DELOREAN SAFETY).

Fuel Pump Boot (was: Re: [DML] DELOREAN SAFETY).

The splash guard will keep water that drains down off of your
electrical connections. But with the cap off, you then leave the wires
exposed to any, and all water that gets sprayed up by your front
tires. Trust me on this one. I left the fuel pump access panel off one
time, and had to drive thru a thunder storm on the way home. My trunk
was a mess, with grimey water sprayed EVERYWHERE inside the trunk.

If you want the extra protection, I'd leave the cap on, but cut the
edges off. Then simply glue it to the boot using RTV sealant. That
way, you'll keep water from entering the tank, incase the boot is
breached. And the wires & fuel pump don't corrode from water standing
in the boot. A weak spot in the electrical circuit for the fuel pump
is where the wiring harness pluggs into the Inertia Switch, to ground
the pump. Too much resistance on the line, and the wires will
overheat, and melt the plug. Yet another "Ask me how I found out about
this the hard way!" problem I discovered...

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>