RE: Buying from Vendors (was:[DML] T-panel foam)

RE: Buying from Vendors (was:[DML] T-panel foam)

106722 INSULATION, ROOF PNL $38.18

$38 for a piece of foam, plus shipping.  That's expensive for a college student,
even one working full-time.

I'm not having much luck with the vendors lately.  I basically don't buy from
the vendors unless it's DeLorean specific.  Some examples:

One time I ordered a hood latch spring from a vendor.  The cost was $2.95.  When
the spring arrived, I saw that the total sale was $17.  Yes, it was $14 for
them to ship a spring to me.  It could have fit in a regular envelope with a
single stamp.  When I installed this high quality, SEVENTEEN-DOLLAR-SPRING, it
didn't make my hood *pop* open any more than the original one did.  So, I went
to Ace Hardware, picked up a spring for $1.50, and now my hood pops open!

Another vendor I called 3 times so far about getting door keylocks, but no luck
so far in getting back to me, and it's been almost a month.  I tried another
vendor, but they said the locks aren't available.  Oh well, it must not be that
important.

I won't mention all the times when I was a newer owner and I found out by
calling one of the vendors that something I need wasn't available.  Well, let
me mention one...one time, I called a vendor and realized I wouldn't ever be
able to have a functioning engine compartment cover because there were no more
hinges available.

So these are the events that inspire me to boycott the vendors for all but the
most exclusive/unreproduceable parts.  If you feel the same way I do, let me
recommend E-Bay (www.ebay.com) and Josh Haldeman (jhaldeman@xxxxxxxx) as a
source for your DeLorean parts.  Neither of the said sources ever run out of
certain parts; neither take multiple phone calls to ensure items are shipped,
and neither charges me over 4 times the cost of the total order to have it
shipped.

Last time I checked, the DML was independently operated, without commission from
vendors(or is it?).  For this reason, I would like to respectfully ask the
moderator to add the phrase, "Go get one from the vendors." and all
permutations of that phrase, to the list of items which are caught in the net
during the moderating process.

I've heard the argument; that if we don't buy all of our nuts and bolts from a
vendor, then we won't fund the remanufacturing of new products that aren't
available.  Well, either those new products, or the vendor's new Ferrari.

I'm not trying to stomp on anyone's toes, but I think we need to remember
consumers drive certain merchants to sell, not the other way around.

Matt