Re: Buying from Vendors (was:[DML] T-panel foam)

Re: Buying from Vendors (was:[DML] T-panel foam)

When you're buying car parts ESPECIALLY DeLorean parts, you're paying
for the part, but also more for the name. You can come up with a small
and simple part for the DeLorean, and tack on a huge price tag because
it is for the DeLorean. But really this works for just about any car.
While for some parts this is not true, there
are parts I see that it is true for. Just compare the prices of the
little available parts from Parts America with DMCH or other vendors.
I try to hold of an order as long as I can until it is something I
really need, and cannot find by other means. Hold off on ordering the
foam, I just might have something sufficient enough to work. I'll
check tonight and contact you off list. -Dani B. #5003

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MATTHEW D SPITTLE" <supermatty@xxxx>
wrote:
> 106722 INSULATION, ROOF PNL $38.18
>
> $38 for a piece of foam, plus shipping.  That's expensive for a
college student,
> even one working full-time.
>
> I'm not having much luck with the vendors lately.  I basically don't
buy from
> the vendors unless it's DeLorean specific.  Some examples:
>
> One time I ordered a hood latch spring from a vendor.  The cost was
$2.95.  When
> the spring arrived, I saw that the total sale was $17.  Yes, it was
$14 for
> them to ship a spring to me.  It could have fit in a regular
envelope with a
> single stamp.  When I installed this high quality,
SEVENTEEN-DOLLAR-SPRING, it
> didn't make my hood *pop* open any more than the original one did.
So, I went
> to Ace Hardware, picked up a spring for $1.50, and now my hood pops
open!

> Another vendor I called 3 times so far about getting door keylocks,
but no luck
> so far in getting back to me, and it's been almost a month.  I tried
another
> vendor, but they said the locks aren't available.  Oh well, it must
not be that
> important.
>
> I won't mention all the times when I was a newer owner and I found
out by
> calling one of the vendors that something I need wasn't available.
Well, let
> me mention one...one time, I called a vendor and realized I wouldn't
ever be
> able to have a functioning engine compartment cover because there
were no more
> hinges available.
>
> So these are the events that inspire me to boycott the vendors for
all but the
> most exclusive/unreproduceable parts.  If you feel the same way I
do, let me
> recommend E-Bay (www.ebay.com) and Josh Haldeman (jhaldeman@xxxx)
as a
> source for your DeLorean parts.  Neither of the said sources ever
run out of
> certain parts; neither take multiple phone calls to ensure items are
shipped,
> and neither charges me over 4 times the cost of the total order to
have it
> shipped.
>
> Last time I checked, the DML was independently operated, without
commission from
> vendors(or is it?).  For this reason, I would like to respectfully
ask the
> moderator to add the phrase, "Go get one from the vendors." and all
> permutations of that phrase, to the list of items which are caught
in the net
> during the moderating process.
>
> I've heard the argument; that if we don't buy all of our nuts and
bolts from a
> vendor, then we won't fund the remanufacturing of new products that
aren't
> available.  Well, either those new products, or the vendor's new
Ferrari.