Re: [DML] The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer

Re: [DML] The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer

First let me address "original".
As far as the Delorean assembly line goes, every car was a hand built
custom.
Have you ever seen two EXACTLY alike?
There is no standard when it comes to these cars.
They are all pretty close, but they are basicly kit cars on an assembly line
where
the builders made it up as they went along!
I mean, c'mon, have you ever owned a car with a wooden deck in the back?
Where the entire body is stapled together?
Everytime I see another Delorean I notice something different and say to
myself,
"My car doesn't have this! Was this facotry?"
Every day was "Monster Garage" at the DMC plant.
They used what they had, and that is what I am doing.

Next, I would like to address the "original is more valuable" comment.
If you take a look at the cars out there for sale, the untouched original
cars are the LEAST valuable.
If you find a Delorean with low miles, and every single thing on it is
original you are looking at a nightmare. These cars were lemons right off
the line.
The car's with the most value have had new leather put in, new fuel system,
rebuilt brakes,
critical parts replaced by aftermarket such as alternators, etc.
Which is worth more, a $200 Craig tape deck or a Sony hard drive MP3 player
that costs $1000.00?
Would you rather have the original lighted cluster or the new IndiGlow dash?
Would you rather have an 85MPH speedo or a 165MPH?
Would you like added Cruise Control?
What about new speakers, or added speakers?
Chromed factory rims?

The bottom line is, if you want an original car with NCT's on it and
everything like it was on the showroom floor then polish it up and put some
velvet ropes around it.
We will save a few of these cars to be put next to the Tucker in the car
museum and all the
rest of us will actually "live the dream" instead of dreaming about the car
in our garage.

If you look at the Deloreans for sale, the one's that bring the most money
have had all the updates,
new interiors, new tires, new stereo systems, etc....
A stock D could be had for $15,000 or less all day long....but one that is
tricked out such as
the one with the Northstar V8 would sell for more than DOUBLE.
So there is no truth behind the "original is better" logic, that is not if
you plan to sell it or drive it.
This may not be true with all cars, but it is in the case of the Delorean.
I am sure that will change in 20 years or so, but if I wanted to put $20,000
into a 20 year
investment I am sure I could do better than a Delorean!!!!!

As for the speed issue.
It is not about top speed, anything close to 100 is fine, the trick is how
fast can you get there?
The key to aggressive driving is fast acceleration and braking.
The car only weighs less than 3000lbs, which is half what my Taurus Wagon
weighs.
My Wagon stops on a dime.
The Delorean should have no trouble, however I think that someone needs to
look into a
customized ABS system as on add on if that is possible.
The brakes on the Delorean work fine, it is controlled braking that is a
problem.

What the car lacks is acceleration.
You can't get off the line, you can't zip around.... it is slow as you go
captain.
The addition of a fuel injected Shortstar V6 would give instant response and
would whisk the
car around with precision. This engine was designed for a car that weighs
twice what the Delorean weighs, so the torque would be awesome.
....as for the transmission,
I too asked this question.
One option might be to use the original GM FWD trans, and mount the engine
transverse.
The other is to use a Pantera transmission, or a Porshe.
However I prefer the automatic and my buddy TD suggested he could rebuild my
AUTO
and beef it up a little with racing parts.
I don't know much about transmissions, but I know that this guy knows his
stuff and people
ship their cars from around the world to this guy to have him hand build a
custom turbo.
He knows a lot about cars so I trust him.

When I can afford it, and when I have the time I will do a complete
modernization to my car.
It will be fast, reliable and user friendly.
I will get the luxury of a modern sports car with the looks of an old one.
It's a beautiful thing.

Driving a Delorean like an old lady is like having Pam Anderson over to do
laundry.
C'mon man, take advantage of the situation!
Life is too short.

As for you "purists" out there, I say thank you.
Thanks for sacrificing modern convenience so that we will always have
perfect examples of the
car as it was originally made.
This way in the future I may take my kids to a museum and show them what the
car looked
like back when the manufactures pumped them out with little research and
development,
and before they had a chance to fix all their mistakes, and before they had
the chance to do
what most of us do.

Drive.

- Videobob