Re: [DML] Re: Auto to Manual

Darryl,

According to the archives found at the DMCnews website, a guy named Duke Bladhorn did the same thing.  He swapped his Automatic tranny with a manual 1972 Porsche 915 transaxle.  He said it bolted up perfectly to the old transmission mounts.  The bellhousing was made custom for his set up (he had already replaced the engine with a Chevy V-6).

Search the archives and you can read about it.  I kinda want to do the same thing with my auto, but still not positive.  I've tried to get ahold of him through his old web-address, but he's never responded.  Does anyone know of way to contact him?

Ben

Dave Swingle <swingle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It can certainly be done. You won't save any money.

The biggest obstacle is the frame - there is a slight difference in
the mounting of the shifter and unfortunately it's a welded part. The
shifter mount for the manual has a bigger hole and is mounted lower
in the frame. But anything can be unwelded and moved.

Front-to-rear....You need to repace the pedal box (where the
gas/brake/clutch pedal/clutch master cylinder mounts), hydraulic
reservoir, add the hydraulic line, replace the linkage, transmission,
transmission mounts, flywheel, add a clutch, pressure plate, release
bearing, clutch fork, pilot bearing, slave cylinder.

It would usually be a lot less hassle and much cheaper to sell the
car and buy what you want. I'm not sure about the console plate but
you'd at least need the shifter boot too.

I actually have most of the parts to do it out in the garage, and I'm
sure I could find a hunk of frame around here with the right mounting
plate in it. It would add up to quite a bit of money. Probably about
the same as fixing the auto trans.

Dave S