Re: [DML] Parting Out Value?

There are a few used parts that are of great value, but
aren't needed very often.  Left front fenders is a
good example, torsion bars is another.  There are a lot
of parts that would likely never be used from a parts car,
such as a tub, because any car hit hard enough to require
a new tub probably isn't worth fixing in the first place.
Most everything else is available new at reasonable
prices from vendors.

Another issue is how long are you going to have this
hulk of a car sitting around?  Parting out cars takes space,
and if you are concerned about preserving the parts,
that means covered space.  Plus marketing, packaging,
shipping, it's a hassle.

Think of it this way - for every parts car, figure you can
fix 3 other cars with the donor parts.  That's an aggressive
number - the actual number is probably much higher.  Now
figure out how many damaged cars out there are in need of
that much repair and have owners who would rather search around
for used parts rather than use the inventory of new parts.  I'd
be surprised if you could use up more than 1 or 2 cars in a year
for the entire DeLorean population.

--
Mike