Re: [DML] Re: Auto to Manual

That's me.  The Porsche transmission swap wasn't too bad (the linkage BY FAR
was the hardest part) but the stock transmission mounts DO NOT bolt up
perfectly to the Porsche tranny!  The half shafts did though.  Don't quote
me on this, but I'd bet that most any Porsche transmission would mount right
up to the half shafts.  On the mount, I had a piece fabricated/welded
between the stock Porsche tranny mount to the DeLorean tranny mounts.  It
turned out as a really nice piece and if it had to be removed, it would be
removed via the DeLorean mounts.  I got all of the DeLorean parts I needed
(pedals, master/slave cylinder) from Josh and Ken.  The pedals were easy to
put in (other than having to remove the steering column)  However for the
shifter, I had to cut some of the frame inside the console area to mount it
and I also had to open up the hole in the frame in the rear of the car to
accommodate the shift linkage.  As Dave pointed out, you would have to do
this with a DeLorean manual transmission as well, but it wouldn't be hard to
do.  I had 2 body shops check out the cutting to the frame I did and they
both agreed that I have not weakened the frame in any way.  All in all, I'm
very, VERY happy with the swap, but it was more involved than the engine
swap.  On the engine swap, it was estimated at costing around $2000 to
install the engine (Granted I did all the work and fabrication myself which
saves A LOT!) and took 8 months to finish (mostly b/c I did it in the winter
and HATE cold weather...the car was done outside in my driveway) and on the
tranny swap, for everything it cost roughly $2300 and took 1 1/2 months to
complete (at a shop inside with a rack; but it took that long b/c of parts)
Now I have roughly 220-230 hp and haven't had a single problem!  After the
summer, I plan to do a heads/cam combo.If anyone has any questions, feel
free to email me.

BTW, my email address is at88mph@xxxxxxx Benjamin, I think I remember you
emailing me, and us exchanging emails, but on the last one I wrote a reply,
and it bounced back twice.  I think it was saying your mailbox was full?  If
you still have any questions, feel free to email me.

Take care,

Duke