Re: [DML] Parting Out Value?

In a message dated 4/28/2004 6:22:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
stldrgn@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
As we all know, parts for Deloreans are natually rare in nature,
some more than others, i.e. Driver side front Fender. Sometimes you
can buy a car for a small price because its damaged heavly on one
side or something but the rest is just fine, however why don't these
people just part the car out, are they just not aware that its value
can be salvaged this way? Heres my question, if one person was to,
part out his entire car, and it was in excellent shape. What sort of
values can we afix to these parts? Example, what if I wanted to get
rid of my engine to swap with something else, what would you guys
pay for a original delorean engine? Don't they go for at some
vendors for like $7k? Panels and sort, i've heard of driver side
panels in upwards of 5K. Just curious on what is the "Fair market
value" for these "used" major parts.
WE don't just part out cars for cash because it does not work that way.
It is more profitable to rebuild the cars where possible.  The reason is that
there are so many parts but only a few are resold.
I have almost every body panel available but no buyers at this point.
You will sit on a shell for a long long time.  While you will get some cash
up front a parts car to us is worth more for the parts we can reuse evident by
the fact that 8 out of 10 cars will end up back on the road.
We have a basement full of parts that will not be requested so there is in my
opinion $0 value to that plus the labor of pulling the cars apart.

As far as your engine theory
How many do you want
I have three
On the market used engines are plentiful and Houston has plenty of new ones.
Want a tranny we have plenty

So its a matter of what you can sell in a reasonable amount of time and what
do you do with the rest.

We prefer to resore the cars unless they are beyond like the fire car.

I'll give you between $250 and $500 for your engine that what I can find them
for
We rebuild them with all new parts then reinstall them. ie raffle car.

That engine was a doner. $0 cost.

Hope that helps understand why people don't just chop up their cars
its a lot of work and the payback is not what you think

Ken