[DML] Re: Warning For Parts On E-Bay

I have no interest in either P.J. Grady, nor Claude. However, looking
at one of the items that is currently selling on eBay, I felt that I
did need to chime in on something.

Item #2469401379 is listing a pair of wood panels that sit behind the
seats. I would seriously advise against buying these. Rob's
descriptions aside, when you buy parts like this, you really don't
know where/how they've been stored. With wood being as absorbant as
it is, and most garages being cold, damp places, you really don't
know if, or perhaps how badly these kind of pieces might be infected
with mold, spores, fungus, etc... And since these are interior pieces
for the passenger compartment, you really wouldn't want to be
breathing in anything that could be possibly pose a health hazzard,
depending upon one's own allergies.

I'm a big supporter of recycling automotive parts, and installing
OEM/NOS whenever possible. But when it comes to things like this, I
personally wouldn't buy used. Fabricating a new set of these pieces
isn't difficult at all. The same with carpet, headliners, ducting, or
anything else. If you're unsure if it's been stored safely, or you
can't easily sterilize it, then avoid it, and either buy it new, or
build it from scratch. As someone who has run in to allot of hidden
dangers with the restoration of their own car that no one tells you
about, I speak from experience (I'm the one David mentioned, that had
his entire house invaded with spiders) . A clogged A/C drain tube
caused mold to form under my carpets, and mine was a car that was
stored out side, in the desert. For months untill I cleaned the
carpet, and sterilized the floorboard, I drove around with a headache
that didn't easily go away when I got out.

Just a heads-up that I wanted everyone to know about.
-Robert
vin 6585 "X"