[DML] Re: coolant smell when heater is on

[DML] Re: coolant smell when heater is on

If you smell coolant than it is leaking somewhere. You could be
drawing the smell in from the radiator or the hoses going to the
heater core. The best way to find the leak is to pressurize the system
with a teaster and go looking. Generally if you have a leaky heater
core the windows also fog up. If all you are getting is the smell the
core may be OK but something else is leaking somewhere! If it comes
and goes maybe it's the guy next to you? The best insurance is to just
change every hose. Look over the radiator. Look carefuly at the end
tanks. If you see any evidence of green staining than it is on
borrowed time. No one should be driving their Delorean on the
origional hoses! After 23 years it is just asking for trouble.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, billsfanmd@xxxx wrote:
> Just wanted to ask why I am smelling coolant after my heat starts
running. I understand the basics of how a heating system works and
that coolant runs under the passenger dash but what would cause it to
smell? My coolant level has not changed and there are no leaks from
under the passenger dash. Anyone else smell coolant when their heat is
running? Any ideas what I need to do to fix it? I am also wondering if
a light smell of coolant is normal with our system.