Re: [DML] Re: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket-heat

Re: [DML] Re: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket-heat

After reading Dave T's comments, I thought I should add some
clarification.

When removing studs or nuts on the exhaust, I use mape gas in a propane
style torch with a small tip because it concentrates the heat to a
small area (better than my oxyaceletene torch), gets hotter than
propane (enough to make the nut or stud red hot), is less likely to
overheat the nut (with an inexperienced user)  and for someone that
does not want to shell a few hundred dollars for a oxyaceletene torch,
a mape torch is cheap but effective alternative (about $30).  One does
have to use a tip that will take the higher temps of the mape gas; a
standard propane torch may melt.

There is no question that penetrating oils have their limitations, the
greatest one being time.  Commercial shops usually don't have time to
wait for it to work.  And, exhaust manifold studs are an exceptional
challenge.    Using a Dremmel tool to cut off a nut that has been
sprayed for several days with penetrant, the penetration of the oil is
apparent.

By the way, the Dremmel is another useful tool for cutting off the nuts
and the rusted end of the studs.

http://mail.yahoo.com