[DML] Re: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket

[DML] Re: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket

Doing work on the exhaust system is among the hardest systems on any
car. After any length of time the hardware (the nuts and bolts) get so
rusted and corroded from the extreme heat and cool cycles that they
become near impossible to get loose without rounding the nuts,
stripping threads, and breaking bolts and studs. In my experience
using any type of penetrating oil isn't what gets things loose (on
exhaust systems). Look at how the professional shops (that do this
work for a living so they want to do it fast and not break every
fastener) get this stuff apart. They all use an oxyacetalyne torch to
heat the fasteners up to cherry red and unscrew it while it is still
hot! It works. The only drawbacks are the safety issue, preventing
heat damage to surrounding parts, and the possablity of stripping
threads (which would have stripped or broken anyway). Using
penetrating oil only makes it smelly and messy when you have to use
the heat anyway. Of course if you don't have a torch or know how to
use it you are left to try other methods. A propane torch can't get
things hot enough and it's heat isn't as concentrated so you have a
higher risk of collateral damage to wiring, hoses, etc.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757