RE: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

RE: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

I don't feel like breaking all this down again....
So I won't.
All I know is that if you decide to get these rims, be prepared to blow some
change.
You can buy some really nice custom 17" rims for this sort of money.
I think that if there is someone out there who does CNC custom rims, who can
make some 17" Rims that look like the factory rims, that would be awesome.

About Don, I haven't made up my mind about those guys yet.
They don't have a very tight ship.
Unless you call him on his cell phone, you won't get much done by email.
When I order from Houston or PJ Grady, the stuff shows up immediatly but the
stuff I ordered
from Don took it's sweet ol' time.

As many of you know I had wrecked my car and needed a hood.
I have been talking to about everyone for a hood but it seems no one wants
to commit to selling me one. These grooved hoods are made out of friggin
gold I guess.
They ain't making you any money leaning against the wall of your shop.

Anyway, Don offered me a grooved hood for $2000.00.
I countered with an offer of $1500.00 total including shipping and he
replied back with
e-mail saying "that would be fine".
I called him on the phone to confirm and he said it would go out the next
day.
The next day came and he called me around 6PM to tell me that he had spent
all day
cleaning and re-surfacing it, having it crated and waiting for the shipper.
He said that he didn't notice that HE was too pay the shipping (even though
I confirmed it
with him by email and phone) but I guess he wasn't paying attention to it.
He wanted me to pay an additional $175 for the crate, and $290 for the
shipping.
Of course I disputed it, but we agreed that we would split the bill.
(Even though we had a previously agreed price of $1500 total).
Then he calls me back again to tell me that he would rather not sell the
hood at all.
It also slipped out that he had another customer who wanted it anyway.
He wanted to get more money for it from someone else.
Basically, he took a crappy hood and cleaned it up so nice he changed his
mind I guess.
That's like the chef eating your dinner because it looked so good.
Thanks a lot!
So I got to asking him about some other hoods, and he claimed to have some
others I might want and that he would "call me right back"....it has been
two days and nothing.
I stressed at how important the hood was to me because I needed it for St.
Patricks Day
Parade in Dallas.

To be honest, everyone has sort of done this to me.
Rob Grady had a hood he was going to sell me, but only if I bought ALL of
the replacement
parts for my car from him as well as give him all of my wrecked parts.
When I didn't go for that, the hood suddenly was not for sale?
Well, that's not totally true, he did have one for $3000.00 which may be a
good deal
but was out of my budget.

Rich had one, but has been too busy to get to it.

Oh well, it looks like I will be stuck with a flat hood from Houston until I
find a grooved hood or a gas-flap hood.

If anyone has one for a decent price let me know.

- VB

>From: dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:29:20 -0000
>
>Hi Robert,
>
>I don't see how you have spent $1800.
>
>You spent $1700 initially, of which you get $800 back. So you've
>spent $900. Then add the cost of shipping and switching your tires,
>and you have spent another $100, so $1000 in total.
>
>You say that you are losing out on a set of wheels worth $800, and so
>add this onto how much money you are out, which doesn't make sense!
>You are forgetting you are getting another set of wheels back (worth
>at least $800). The value of the newly refurbished wheels should
>easily surpass the value of the original wheels that probably had
>peeling paint and scuffs, so these cancel each other out. The most
>you are out is $1000.
>
>Sorry, but I don't think its fair to Don Steger to say that you
>got "hosed" on this deal. Don doesn't post here, so cannot defend
>himself. I've heard nothing but good things about him and his
>company, and if I was living in CA he would definitely be my choice
>of shop to work on my car. $1000 sounds like a great deal to me for
>this upgrade.
>
>Can you please post pictures somewhere where we can see the wheels?
>
>Thanks,
>Best wishes,
>John Dore, Ireland.
>
>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Robert Moseley" <videobob@xxxx>
>wrote:
> > I bought a set of Steger's chromed rims and have them sitting here
>in
> > the middle of the living room gleaming.
> > For those of you curous about them, I think they look damn good,
> > but I am not sure if they are a good value.
> > They cost $800.00 + core.
> > The deposit on the exchange is $800, so you need to fork over about
> > $1700 or so initially, and then you need to pay to have your tires
> > switched and then send the rims back.
> > This is an out of pocket costs of over $1000 if you keep your own
> > tires....Not to mention loosing your old rims, which appearantly are
> > worth $800 to Don Steger so I suppose you could get that for a
> > set....meaning you are spending about $1800, or $450.00 per rim!
> > Damn, now that I think about it I feel hosed!
> > You can buy some damned nice rims for that sort of bread!
> >>>
> > Thanks.
> > - Videobob
> > VIN# 5278

>moderators@xxxxxxxxxxx

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
$29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/