[DML] Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

[DML] Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

Johnny,

Thank you for the response. Now, how much of this is really accurate?

I confess: I read this info at the Lotus Fact File a couple of months
ago. In my quest for a new car I've been back and forth between
several vehicles and the Esprit is one of them. I decided against it
due to parts pricing (example: a new engine is over $40,000).

A DeLorean is nothing like an Esprit. The engine is standard and parts
for it are readily available at your local auto supply store, from my
understanding. True, there are parts that you can't just go out and
buy: Interior pieces, body panels, odds and ends. However, the stuff
that makes the car drive and requires regular maintenance - your
engine, transmission, etc - is easily located. Is this not correct?

Parts for a Lotus engine, on the other hand, are NOT available at the
local auto supply store.

I've been driving Pontiac Fieros for a decade now. Maintenance is
minimal; it's what you expect out of a used car. Certain parts cannot
be purchased new but all of the mechanicals - things that you can
expect to replace eventually - are readily available as aftermarket
parts. Since it's an older, somewhat unique car, mechanics hate it so
you end up doing the work yourself if you want it done right at any
reasonable price. If I bought a 30k mile Fiero today that had been
driven and maintained (not stored and left to rot), I'd have
essentially a brand new car with some minor inconveniences and no
problem finding most of what I need to keep it on the road.

I am under the assumption that a $15-20k DeLorean would be,
essentially, the same thing: A brand new car with some minor
inconveniences. Nothing like a Lotus where a new alternator will run
you >$500 and have to be shipped from God knows where.

Are my assumptions accurate? Or have I completely missed something here?

-Ryan