[DML] Re: Weird Otter?

You are correct, I have recomended adding a "Coolant Recovery Bottle".
I added mine by hooking a hose to the barb under the presssure cap on
the header bottle and running the hose across the back of the motor.
My bottle is mounted to a bolt on the left rear pontoon just ahead of
the cover for the vapor canister. An overflow hose from the bottle
just goes straight down. Get a bottle that holds at least 3 quarts, 4
is better. The Delorean has a large volume of coolant so it will
expand and contact more than an average car. Fill it so that when cold
there is just enough to cover the input fitting otherwise when the
engine is hot it will overflow. Have the pressure cap tested or just
replace it, if it leaks it will not draw the coolant back into the
header bottle. The irony of all this is that I read where JZD got a
patent on this way back when but this system was never installed on
his car. I guess it must have had something to do with cost. This has
become the industry standard on most new cars since around 1990. The
major advantages are that it reduces the air in the system so there is
less corrosion and foaming, and you can inspect the fluid level even
when hot (a real plus when you put the metal header bottle on). I just
went into an auto store and found one that I thought would fit. It is
kind of square, I just think the plastic is too thin. An O.E.M. piece
wwould be more substantial if anyone can find one that fits and looks
like it belongs.
David Teitelbaum