[DML] Re: DeLorean steering-Alignment

Simon - I don't have a ready answer to your shim number questions,
but your message brought up a topic that I think needs to be
addressed.  I have seen a couple of cars recently that have been
aligned by a local alignment shop, and some of these thin shims were
added to the stackup.  The problem is that they put the thin shims on
the outside end of the shim stack, so that the "sleeve" through the
trailing arm bears against them.  The shims are not strong enough for
the bearing pressure caused by the bolt torque, and they "squeeze"
out of the way.  This allows the joint to loosen up, which means
certain death for your TAB.  I have been moving the thin shims to the
middle of the stack, so that the sleeve is bearing against the
thicker OEM shims.  This is very important to look for and correct.
Proper clamp-up in this joint is a "must", no matter what type of
bolt you have installed.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com