Re: [doc] Speakers

I had the same problem. I have a friend who has his own chain of car stereo shops in Essex and even he couldnt help me. You will not be able to order through a UK store even if you have the part number.

  I gave up in the end and called Houston to see if they would sell me the speakers they offer as an upgrade on their remanufactured cars, Eclipse SE 8405 10 x 4 3 way coaxial. They said no. Not stocked and not available. I rang back a couple of days later and this time spoke to James Espey. He ordered me a set in and despatched them just in time to reassemble the car for eurofest. They go straight in, sound great no modifications are needed apart from new cable or change the crimps on the old cable if you are lazy, to modern small - large + spade connectors. Treat yourself to new gaskets at the same time available on the audio page from houston (only a few dollars) as they are essential to ensure a decent seal and no vibration through the panel.

  I spoke to Steve wynne at Eurofest about this and he is considering offering these speakers as an upgraded part option on he DMCH website. He had never bothered previously as US car owners can source there own kit cheaper on the high street over there. European owners however cannot. When you remove your original speakers you will probably find they are just dust. Remember to measure the distance from speaker face to car panel front and rear of the speaker before you remove the old speakers so you know where to position the new speakers on the bracket.

  Also dont mix up the + and - of the speaker or it will sound dull. Use new cables while youre in there, preferably with factory made crimps on. The original cables had 2 large spade terminals. Modern speakers have a large + terminal and a small - terminal. Most speaker cables have a black striped core and a plain core. The black stripe is the - cable which is the small terminal. The plain core is the + cable with a large terminal.

  The front speakers I shortlisted originally where also eclipse 3.5 inch, however the treble cone pokes proud of the speaker face so they where unsuitable. They would have split the dash and vibrated like crazy. I eventualy got some Clif Design 3.5 inch but was just lucky to find these.

  I dismissed the Alpine speakers (SXE 0825s) as they had no "depth"  or volume but can suggest 2 others.

  JBL GTO 326e        75w peak 25w RMS 90hz-21khz response only £30 from in car express .co.uk and available from Halfords.

  Infinity 3012cf         75w peak 25w RMS 85-21khz response only £50.00 from in car express .co uk BUT although these would be my preferred choice I could not confirm if the treble cone was proud of the speaker face. Check this if you can. If it is not then great. If it is proud stick with the JBL.

  None of these speakers or the rears will come with new cables as they are all designed as custom fit and assume factory wiring. The original Delorean wiring is a disgrace taped to the rear panel and curled up and "stuffed" down the sides, as if a 2 year old had installed it.

  The advantage of using any of these speakers is a "stock" look with no messy component tweeters and crossovers hanging around your interior. The Eclipse rears are great, no distortion, lovely clarity and nice bass.

  Dont waste your time trying to find 4 x 10, just call houston, and dont forget the gaskets. Theres always other bits to order at the same time anyway isnt there?

  Mark.
  DOC273
  Vin 16644

craigrid246 <car.sar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Can anyone suggest a make and company to buy a set of resonable
speakers?
I've looked into getting them from USA and there's no shortage, but is
there anyone over here who does them, or just the case of get the
compatable part number for a make (ie:sony) and take it to a store to
order?
tried the local audio stores and the usual halfords etc but to no
avail, its more the 4 x 10 thats the problem.
any help much appreciated.

craig
doc 246
vin 2927

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk

        Recreation   Automotive   Sports     Delorean part   Delorean cadillac

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM