Re: [doc] Instructions needed on changing clutch

Re: [doc] Instructions needed on changing clutch

....GULP!..... :o{
can I start crying yet?

Claire

PS - Clutch slave cylinder was changed just over 3yrs ago tho when we
got the car - so probably less then 5000 miles covered since - so
hopefully that is still ok

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd
<martin@...> wrote:

> The main thing you need is a large trolley jack. I wouldn't like to
try
> it without and even then, you will need some fairly substantial
muscle.
> There're quite a few tools involved too - not "special tools" but
ones
> that you might not have in a regular socket set.
>
> Brief outline:
>
> Unhook clutch hydraulic line
> Unhook crossgate cable
> Unhook RH handbrake cable
> Unhook shift rod
> Remove both driveshafts (24 bolts in total!)
> Free the starter motor (does not have to be removed, just released
off
> the bellhousing)
> Remove the two sh!t shields off the bottom and left side of the
> bellhousing - this is probably the worst part of the job!
> Supporting the gearbox on a jack, remove the mounts that secure it
> the chassis
> Undo the 4 bellhousing bolts
> If using my method, replace with longer ones so when the box does
come
> free, it won't fall on you
> Using a combination of careful prying, shaking the crap out of it
and
> swearing, you should now be able to remove the gearbox
> Replace clutch using alignment tool, or eyeball
> Replace release bearing
> Replace clutch slave cylinder if you know what's good for you...
> Jack exhaust end of engine up as far as it will go
> Replace gearbox using jack and 4 long bolts to guide it into place
> Now reverse removal (ignore shi!t shields - not needed)...........
> Bleed clutch.
> Adjust crossgate cable
>
> Martin
>
> Claire Usher wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been very kindly lent a copy of a "DeLorean Owners Technical
> >Manual" which goes into great lenght about the automatic
transmission,
> >but it has absolutely zero instructions on changing a clutch.
> >
> >Does anyone have something they can email me or fax me with
an 'idiot
> >proof' guide to changing the clutch, as if I cant find a brave
enough
> >mechanic in time for Eurofest I might have to have a go myself :o(
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >Claire
> >#2292 (slippady doo dah, slippady-eh....)
> >'68 Rapier Auto (yay, no clutch!)
> >'89 Cav (back in daily service - clutch fine)
> >DOC170

Everything you need is one?click away.? Make Yahoo! your home page?now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM