Re: [doc] Instructions needed on changing clutch

Re: [doc] Instructions needed on changing clutch

The main thing you need is a large trolley jack. I wouldn't like to try
it without and even then, you will need some fairly substantial muscle.
There're quite a few tools involved too - not "special tools" but ones
that you might not have in a regular socket set.

Brief outline:

Unhook clutch hydraulic line
Unhook crossgate cable
Unhook RH handbrake cable
Unhook shift rod
Remove both driveshafts (24 bolts in total!)
Free the starter motor (does not have to be removed, just released off
the bellhousing)
Remove the two sh!t shields off the bottom and left side of the
bellhousing - this is probably the worst part of the job!
Supporting the gearbox on a jack, remove the mounts that secure it to
the chassis
Undo the 4 bellhousing bolts
If using my method, replace with longer ones so when the box does come
free, it won't fall on you
Using a combination of careful prying, shaking the crap out of it and
swearing, you should now be able to remove the gearbox
Replace clutch using alignment tool, or eyeball
Replace release bearing
Replace clutch slave cylinder if you know what's good for you...
Jack exhaust end of engine up as far as it will go
Replace gearbox using jack and 4 long bolts to guide it into place
Now reverse removal (ignore shi!t shields - not needed)...........
Bleed clutch.
Adjust crossgate cable

Martin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM