[doc] Re: radio upgrade

Hi Chris,

I tried to get a socket that plugged into the old plug in my D, but
never found one - however, the connector left in the car when you
remove the Craig has standard size small spade pins (male), so its
very easy to get a standard DIN connector that goes into the back of
new stereo that has bare wire ends - just fit small spade sockets to
the appropriate wires (shink sleeve them so they cant short to each
other) and plug em into the pins in the cars connector , that way
you dont need to cut the cars original wiring in any way.
You use the cars original speaker wiring for the rear speakers only
though! (using pins in the plug), but you will need to disconnect
the original wires at the front speakers and tape em up and cable
tie them out the way, then connect new wires to the front speakers
and connect them to the new DIN connector wires using bullet
connectors or similar - this is because the D's speaker wiring uses
a common ground wire per-side of the car and new stereos amps are
not like this. Any more info, feel free to ask :-)

PhillW
DOC 233
VIN 6772 (Sorbet)
etc etc