[doc] Re: Painted Deloreans from the Factory!!!!!

[doc] Re: Painted Deloreans from the Factory!!!!!

Paul

Have you checked the belts / replaced them since owning the car
matey ?

They can get shiny once they start sliping and then its a downward
spiral . The 'teeth' can wear down or crack in between.

If you dont know when it was last replaced i would get a new one ,
may as well do the AC belt too whilst your there.

I tend to set the belt up so that if you press with your thumb midway
along the belt between the water pump and alternator then there
should be about 1/2" of downward deflection. No tighter or your
bearings on your alternator will wear our prematurely for one .
Easier to adjust the tension on the alternator when there are two of
you, In fact my Ten year old knows just what to do now to help me out
on this one :)

You could try spraying water on the main pulley and see if the squeel
appears , which i would suspect it will.

Kind Regards

Mike
#2001/403

Not sure about the tale of 27 Pained Deloreans thou :)

I have noticed a squealing noise from the engine bay during driving.
At
> first I thought it was the belts slipping when water had got on
them from
> rain but yesterday I noticed it happened the odd time when I would
have
> thought the belts were dry.
>

> My belt to the alternator is slightly looser than I would think it
should be
> (does anyone know how tight it should be ie- approx amount of
movement if
> you push it from top to bottom) so I had initially blamed that.
>

> Does anyone else have an idea what it sound like as Im hoping its
not the
> water pump.
>

> Cheers
>

> Paul.