Re: [doc] Front springs

Hi Mark,

  Although I agree with what you are saying wrt the spring constant, commanly known as "poundage" or "rating" but the compressability of this is affected when loaded.

  I personally tried the front springs on the rear trick, but this resulted in too wallawy, too soft a ride for my liking. Just a basic test like pressing down on the bodywork showed this.

  I finished up fitting second hand original springs (as mine were chopped), to restore the original lotus ride height. We all have different views on suspension etc and some prefer a soft ride, others prefer a hard one (like me!)

  I agree with Martin, but choice is choice (or funds are limited,) at the end of the day.

  NickT.

Mark <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Sorry Martin I disagree.

I have put the front springs on the rear now for 4 years with no problems. Some owners have said that the rear of the car is heavier. The spring ratings are very similar due to the different set up on the suspension.

Using Archimedes established 'Law on Levers' formulated three separate types (or orders) as they are referred to which have their fulcrum, effort(spring) and load arranged in different ways.

The rear suspension uses the 'Second Order Lever' It has its fulcrum and effort(spring) in opposite ends and the load in the middle, just like a wheel barrow set up.

The front suspension uses the 'Third Order Lever' The fulcrum and load are at opposite ends this time with the effort(spring) is in the middle, such as a shovel.

Since my first D was one of the first cars to go through its SVA test many years ago, I have the printouts of the exact weight distributed on each wheel with a full tank of fuel and was able to calculate the effort weight on each spring.

BTW the total weight of the car relates nothing like what factory spec is.

Mark