From: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Mark
Sent: 08 March 2006 11:24
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [doc] Front springs

Sorry Martin I disagree.

I have put the front springs on the rear now for 4 years with no
problems. Some owners have said that the rear of the car is heavier. The
spring ratings are very similar due to the different set up on the
suspension.

Using Archimedes established 'Law on Levers' formulated three separate
types (or orders) as they are referred to which have their fulcrum,
effort(spring) and load arranged in different ways.

The rear suspension uses the 'Second Order Lever' It has its fulcrum and
effort(spring) in opposite ends and the load in the middle, just like a
wheel barrow set up.

The front suspension uses the 'Third Order Lever'  The fulcrum and load
are at opposite ends this time with the effort(spring) is in the middle,
such as a shovel.

Since my first D was one of the first cars to go through its SVA test
many years ago, I have the printouts of the exact weight distributed on
each wheel with a full tank of fuel and was able to calculate the effort
weight on each spring.

BTW the total weight of the car relates nothing like what factory spec
is.

Mark