Re: [doc] re still doesn't idle ok

The coil connection is for pickup for the ignition amplifier which is separate.
  If this was faulty your car would not run at all (i.e. no spark)

  You will need to remove the coil cover and check for continuity between terminal marked "1" or "CB" and the pin at the idle speed ecu multiplug. Wire is white and slate I think. If this cable is open circuit then the idle speed ecu has no engine speed feedback.

  The blue wire (shielded) goes to the fuel computer and is from the oxygen sensor input cable.

  You should now have checked all the wiring and assuming you have put the diode in the correct way round (stripe to the throttle switch) there is nothing else I can suggest apart from removing the idle control valve and looking at the rotary valve when you first put the ignition to position 2. The valve should be controlled to fully open. If the valve fully closes then the 2 control wires are on the wrong way round or the plug has been shove on the wrong way round.

  This is assuming that the ecu and valve have been checked out OK btu I think you have had that confirmed already.

  One last thing I can think is that the ecu multiplugs have been put on the ecu the wrong way round but it is easy to tell if the 4 wired one goes to the right hand side socket on the ecu when viewing the pins on the ecu.

  NickT

blackaddertoo <blackaddertoo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Nick and all

managed to slope off a site early, with tools in the boot and do
some more testing.

checked diode with meter...reads 700 on diode test and tried with a
test light and jump battery, lights one way and not the other so i
think the didode is ok.

now with key on, in ignition positive power is ok at middle
connection idle speed motor.

ground connection at idle mutliplug checks ok for continuity with
body panel ie -ve ok.

checked continuity of other two connections at idle speed motor plug.
checks ok at ecu multiplug, ie no break in wire

checked pulse coil connection on left side of rear engine at fire
wall...checks at 550 ohms...is this ok as specialT say this should
be about 600+ ohms

the only lead lest to check is the feed from the coil...do i take
off the coil cover and investigate there? i could not quite see
where the leads go...assuming it connects at the ecu mutliplug.

tried again to start..runs 10 seconds then chugs and dies as if the
engine is being starved of air/petrol...but it did idle fine with
the brass screws adjusted.

one thing to note...a mouse has been living with the ecus in the
corner behind the drivers seat.
the blue wire (i think it is the feed for the 02 sensor maybe?) or
is the the coil connection has a small amount of chew marks,
exposing the wire below...does not look like the wire itself has
been damaged, however i think this looks like a shielded cable so
can't be good.
maybe i might have to remove all the mutliplugs and the metal
support and check all the wiring out.
if the lambda ecu/wiring was faulty would the car idle with brass
screw adjustment? i thought not?

thanx for any help.

a mouse also chewed through my headlight wiring and the rear of the
indicator plastic!!!! haven't found any dead ones though.

regards

Steve

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nick Tomlinson
wrote:

> The resistance test is a simple one on a diode and you remember
correctly.
> Diodes though can become 'leaky' when the PN junction breaks
down which is why you check with the diode function. This will show
the voltage drop across the junction and depending on type should
show no voltage drop one way and between 500mV and 800mV the other.

> "
> "Put your multimeter to volts. Connect the red cable of meter to
> > jump start post. Use black lead to check for throttle switch
input
> (AT THE ECU MULTIPLUG) meter should read battery voltage with
> throttle closed (switch
> > operated) and no voltage with throttle open.""
> according to the workshop manual, does this input not just earth
> when the switch is closed (car at idle) so to test i earthed it
with
> diode removed then tried to start car.
> "
> Yes, the unit does earth this switched point when the throttle
is closed.
> The test I give will show if there is any feedback voltage from
the other circuit showing the diode has gone short, leaky or open
circuit. I am presuming that you earthed this input at an earth
point like the engine block or better yet the -VE battery post.

> Hope the circuit diagram I sent to you makes the connections
clear.
> Chances are you have an earth lead off somewhere so the unit
isn't earthing at the earth pin.

> It's always harder to explain in words what you could do
yourself in 20 minutes.

> [...]
the
> > diode will need replacing. Note which way round the diode is
when
> > you removed it and replace it with another the right way round.
> > >
> > > I am presuming that you have check for wire continuity between
> > the idle speed motor multiplug and the idle speed ecu multiplug.
> > >
> > > Have you measured the thermister resistance?
> > > Do this by using your multimeter on resistance and connect to
> > the 2 pins on the idle speed ecu multiplug. If you get no
reading
> > (open circuit) then the connector to the thermistor connector
plug
> > may have fallen off or the thermistor itself has gone bad.
> > > If you get no resistance, you can make some short fly leads to
> > enable the multiplug to be connected to the ecu by 2 pins (on
the
> 4
> > pin block) and the thermistor ecu inputs to a 10 kilo ohm
resistor
> > to simulate the thermistor. If the car now idles then this is
the
> > problem.
> > >
> > > NIckT.
> > >

> > > blackaddertoo wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > an update on my idle problems
> > > idle ecu and idle motor checked and working by martin at DMUK.
> > > now removed motor, blocked pipes and adjusted screws...car
idle
> ok
> > > at 1500 rpm.
> > > checked power to ecu ok at plug, checked switch ok at engine
but
> > > diode reads no resistance either polarity. (should it?) n
moved
> > for
> > > further testing.
> > > checked ground connection at ecu - Ok.
> > > put Eecu and motor back in, shorted the diode/microswitch
input
> > > earth...car idle 30 second then dies. exactly the same problem.
> > > removed diode short...idle 30 secs then dies.
> > >
> > > so i am left to check the input from the distributor (should
the
> > car
> > > idle if this is dead and hence the ecu does not know engine
> > speed??)
> > > and if the leads from the ecu to motor are OK.
> > >
> > > if i put a test light on the connector at engine end and
switch
> > > ignition, should there be a short positive signal on the one
> > > either close the motor or open?)
> > >
> > > then remove the microswith...do the same and the other lead
> should
> > > go positive.
> > >
> > > that is correct is it not, middle lead to motor is ground and
> the
> > > other run motor positive one way and positive the other to
close
> > the
> > > air valve??.
> > >
> > > Thanx for reading this!! and sorry to bore you. i am
determined