Re: [doc] Trailing Arm Bolts

Hi Paul

The simplest test is on the road to do a left-right-left manoever, as if
avoiding a squirrel :-) The back end should feel tight and positive. If
it wanders around and feels vague, the chances are that your TABs are
loose. They get loose due to the way they are installed. The torque
figure of 65ft-lbs is getting close to the elastic limit of the original
bolts -before- you start applying the stress of the rear suspension (all
the thrust and drag of the back wheels under accelleration and braking).
So they appear to "come loose" over time. However it's not the nut
backing off, but the bolt stretching.

We've done Inconel bolts for some time which are a thoroughly
over-engineered solution to the problem. But for the fact that you can
probably forget about them forever after, they're not all that expensive
when you think about it. Inconel is a wierd material which is extremely
strong and also impervious to corrosion.

The trailing arm bush must also be checked when you change the bolts.
THese are an off-the shelf item in this country - must get around to
putting them on the website!

Mileage has little to do with it. My car with 4000 miles on it had a
loose bolt. Now has a pair of Inconel's and has stayed tight for the
past two years. And I like to drive my car hard. (just have to get
adjustable lower link arms because I'm eating back tyres as if they're
going out of fashion :-)

Best Wishes

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk