Re: [doc] Water pump on ebay.... Item 4596448006

Re: [doc] Water pump on ebay.... Item 4596448006

My £10 (including post) ebay 4 pulley water pump bargain had the same size impeller as my original water pump. The impeller also protruded the same distance as the original too. My new one looked like this:

  http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/water-pump-rear.jpg

  I would put some pics on too. Can't wait till the new newsgroup is up and running :)

  Leaks from the back are probably just down to poor fitting technique.

  The other thing I did was flush the system out (no rust or deposits anyway) and replace hoses with silicone. My car has for some reason a Volvo 760 pressure cap and Header tank which is smaller than an original Delorean one and I have had (touch wood so far) no leaks.
  Maybe this has helped too.

  Glad mine is done because it's like opening a can of worms down there :)

  NickT.

Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Just a cautionary note: These pumps fit perfectly and apart from the
bolt-on flange, are pretty much like-for-like. However, after a fitting
a couple of these a long time ago, heard from some very reliable sources
that they aren't as good as the original ones. It comes down to the
impeller housing and the propensity for the car to blow a little coolant
on a long hot run. Several of the US vendors now carry this pump which
is also available with a press-fit shaft, and can be identified by the
longer shaft once pressed on. I've heard that Grady "modifies" them to
improve flow (no idea how) and DMCH avoid them like the plague through
bitter experience. I've also seen more than a couple of cars where the
pump has been replaced at some point and has developed a leak on the
back plate which wasn't torqued down or cleaned up properly when swapped
over from the old pump.

Pretty much since day 1, as DMUK and now as DMC, we've been fitting the
proper OEM pump from Renault which includes the back plate already
fitted and the correct length shaft. We've done/sold loads of these and
no complaints so far.

But FWIW wecan supply the 4-bolt pulley suitable for the DeLorean and
have one on the shelf, if anyone wants it!

Martin
DMC Ltd

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk