Re: [doc] Engine "faff"?

Well you were probably replacing a damaged/failed engine. Personally I
wouldn't want to replace -my- DeLorean's engine unless there was
something catastrophically wrong with it. At least when replacing the
pistons, cams etc, you can check everything, replace shells, rings etc
and not just throw in an engine with an unknown history. I've seen some
shockingly worn shells and chain guides on some of these scrapyard
sourced engines - one even had a badly scored crankshaft. Remember
Volvos tend to do a higher milage than DeLoreans... and I've taken quite
a few engines apart. Anyone who's been to either the new or the old
workshop will have seen at least part of the "PRV museum"! I've also
done full engine rebuilds a couple of times, and several head gaskets. I
also know of a Volvo-engined D that has never run right since the engine
was installed.

I've worked on both BAE and Island turbo systems and they're both really
mickey-moused. I have both instructino sets if you're interested.
There's plenty of info out on the mailing lists on quite how badly they
affect the longevity of the engine. The most simple flaw is the way they
blow (or perhaps that should be "suck") the oil seal on the compressor
side of the turbo(s). Nobody ever properly re-curved the distributor,
nor came up with a "proper" way of enriching the k-jet system on the D
under boost.

Let's let the results speak for themselves when our first Stage 2 is
finished.  It's not all about the parts, I think the knowledge is worth
something too :-)

Rich J's Island Twin #2727 (my #1458's "sister") is being rebuilt with
the internals from a 25 turbo in our spare time. It will be retaining
the block, crank case, sump, timing and rocker covers, plus turbos and
exhaust system, but gaining a new pair of heads, intake manifold,
intercooler(s) and mappable ECU. I think at the last count it's also
going 5-speed.

Best Wishes

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk