[doc] Engine "faff"?

I don't think you'd have to "faff" that much as the turbo upgrade is already documented.

The complete Volvo 260 engine transplant is quicker to change (in my opinion) as the distributor, metering flap, fuel distributor etc are already matched and can be sourced as a single unit from a breakers yard.

Another DeLorean owner and I have already performed this engine swap.
It was a straightforward installation.

NickT

p.s. I like smacking valves, it's fun :)

Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Wouldn't it be easier to put a Volvo B28E engine in instead?
>This already has the higher compression ratio pistons in already (bigger domes on the crowns), the fuel injection setup is already matched (plus the metering flap is a cm larger in diameter than the DeLorean original one)

Really? you don't say... [wry grin].

>If you want the original delorean engine maybe stick the pistons in from the B28E engine, same diameter but higher crown on the piston, also skim the cylinder head and put a more efficient exhaust on than the DeLorean.

You can't skim the heads without throwing the cam timing out unless you
go into re-pinning the cam sprockets, and making the timing cover not
line up,. The ignition curve is not re-mappable being purely mechanical
so you have to either do it yourself (bit difficult) or fit a
distributor from a higher compression engine, which is the Volvo B28E
and Renault Z6W on the odd fire lumps. The highest compression pistons
in a 2849cc engine are in the Volvo B280E which have dished crowns. No
good unless you can recurve the dizzy. You also have to make sure the
pistons weigh the same as the crankshaft counterweighs the pistons in
the odd-fire engines. If you wanted silly compression, why not throw a
set of 25 turbo pistons on the DeLorean conrods - that'd smack some
valves...

>Either that or stick a turbo on.............

Yah, You could do that, then you can faff about with calibrating both
ignition and fuelling under boost, re-time the right hand bank so the
cams run the same offset, fit forged pistons and watch the whole thing
shake itself to pieces. Or am I being melodramatic? :-) Or get more
power with nornal aspiration with properly re-ground camshafts, higher
compression pistons and a decent exhaust as you say. To change the cams
means pulling the heads off (well, okay, it can be done without but what
a faff!) and assumng you're already doing the cams, to change out the
crank case from a Volvo engine is actually more work than pulling out
the pistons from a DeLorean engine, because you've already taken off the
heads. It does mean having the liner straps though.

Or you can just buy an off-the-shelf even fire engine capable of 250bhp
on the original ECU and all you have to change is the crank case and
sump, and make sure you have the bellhousing that includes the flywheel
trigger mounts.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk