Re: [doc] Insurance for younger drivers

I agree with what you're saying in principle, but the thing is I've been insuring my cars in this way since I got my first one when I was 18 (now 21) and I've never had any problems.

I was planning to insure my car in my own name when it come up for renewal next year anyway because of the whole issue with the NCD.

I think the risk is worth it when you're skint as I am because everyone that I know who has their car insured like this has never had any problems either.

I just can't justify spending loads on insurance when there's a perfectly legal way round it.

Plus my Dad is an Insurance Claims Manager so he knows what the pitfalls are likely to be if any.

Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178

Claire Usher <claire.usher@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mike,

>From personal experience, insuring a car in someone else?s name is a false
economy, because you aren?t building up any No Claims Discount of your own.
Also, if you have an accident or the car is stolen, it is your dad who will
suffer because he will lose his NCD ? and the premiums will go up.

I looked into this when I bought my first car at the age of 17, and we
worked out that it would be cheaper in the long run for me to start my own
insurance (I had to have my dad as a named driver though because I was still
learning to drive when I bought my car).

Also, be very careful that the insurance company don?t find out that you are
the main user of the car.  As a ?named driver? the insurance company will
consider you an occasional user of the car because the policy is in your
dad?s name.  If they find out (and they invariably do) that you are using
the car full time, then you may be at the risk of being prosecuted by your
insurers for insurance fraud and they may cancel your policy or more likely
demand the full amount as if the policy was actually in your name.
Insurance companies are often ?suspicious? if a young driver is put on a
policy for a car that would normally be prohibitively expensive to insure
for a young or inexperienced driver and investigate more thoroughly in the
event of a claim.

Hmmm, now what did I have at 19?.......ah yes, a 5 year old Ford Escort
Laser 1.3!  Now there was a quality car!  (not).  That cost me the heady sum
of £460 fully comp back then!!

Regards,

Claire (12yrs NCD and clean licence)

DOC171